Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 2: Jacksonville to Suches, GA




We pop right out of bed excited for what was coming. Day two of our little adventure takes us from Jacksonville to Suches, Ga. Yesterday we traveled 365 miles by the end of today we would have logged another 430 miles.


It was a bit chilly when we headed out, but a beautiful day none the less. So If I remember correctly. We took 95 out of Jacksonville to 295 ( I think) to I-10. I-10 was a beautiful stretch of road.



We stopped at the Oceola National Forest for a quick rest... nice little wooded area with a cool breeze. So far the highway has been nothing but nice sweeping hills with very little traffic. Very scenic....










This was a gas stop along the way.. cute little country store. Speaking of gas the highest price we've paid so far has been $4.23 along I-95 close to Daytona. The cheapest so far has been $4.09...not to bad. Before we knew it we were in Georgia and the sun was beating the crap out of us. We got some rain around Atlanta but is was over before we knew it. The traffic around Atlanta by the way was crazy, much like Miami...

For the most part were stopping every 100 miles to gas up, stretch the legs and hydrate. The sun is pretty bad and after a while the humming from the bike starts make me drowsy. Luckily the scenery started to change alot after Atlanta. We took 19 North and it turns from a huge highway to a local street that starts winding around town. I'm thinking..... wow this is really nice. The traffic thins out and after a while were in a rural road in the mountains and the fun begins. All of the sudden I see a sign that says "Limited visibility please slow down" I think "okay"... So I start the climb up this hill, Rick is leading by the way, and all of the sudden I'm at the peak and the freaken road (excuse my language) drops about 40 feet at least, with no guard rails and a drop on both sides.. I'm thinking this is nice but I'm screaming HOLY MOLEY!! .... I knew the roads would be twisty, but this was a nice reality check... So I continue to push on through like a trooper and it only gets better... We wind through some nice quaint little towns, nice twists and turns. Nothing too technically difficult as long as you stick to the posted speed limit, which is 35 at max.


Finally after about 15 miles of twisties and we have to turn onto 60 which will take us to Two Wheels Only. We make a left and there is a sign that says "Tight turns and steep changes in elevation, Watch for falling rocks" Watch for falling rocks? How about watch for falling bikers!!! I'm trying not to roll off the road here... We continue turning and twisting up and down... don't even come here if you get dizzy easily folks!


These pictures were taken at a lookout point:








We continue on to Suches which is 6 miles from this look out point. We passed it and had to do a U-Turn in the middle of all this madness and there was a nice sloping loose gravel road to greet us. This was the actual entrance to the place. I'm thinking.. isn't this place supposed to be motorcycle friendly? So I manage to make it down and park. We checked in and the place is cute, but far below my expectations. The rooms are on the second floor and NO A/C!!! Nothing we can do about it now. We took a shower and it's actually cool, but if tonight is warm were out of here tomorrow!.

We went down stairs for dinner and ordered a half rack or ribs. We could smell these smoking as we drove up this afternoon. I have to say they have been the best tasting ribs I have ever had. everything was delicious.





The restaurant had tons of stuff on the walls... signs, maps, and even motorcycle parts from those who have had some bad fortune. There are signs everywhere warning you to stick to the posted speed limit.
This one needs little explanation...
This little guy sneaked up behind Rick during dinner. I think he wanted ribs as well...

These two rolled in during dinner, neat little buggies!
Motorcycles only and they mean business... :-)
This is the loose gravel road that greeted us this afternoon. I literally left the bike where it stopped. I didn't even bother to straighten it out. I'll worry about it tomorrow, I'm just happy I stopped before I washed my bike in the creek.
This beautiful waterfall is right across the street from the hotel. The water flows under the bridge and behind the property.

That's all for now folks... we got here in one piece, we had dinner and tomorrow is another day.






No comments: